Sunday, September 03, 2006

today at mass the choir sang this song entitled "telephone to glory" and i burst out laughing. in the middle of mass. just before communion. and i couldn't stop. i'm surprised nobody doused me in holy water. but i felt kinda bad because there was this sweet old lady next to me who was singing along quite happily. so i had to think about someone dying just to make myself feel a bit more solemn.

anyway, the song was horrendously cheesy and i really wished zoot was there because she would have laughed right along with me and i wouldn't have had to look heathen all by myself. but then again, mum did a double-take when the saw the lyrics and i'm pretty sure i saw her biting her lip to keep from laughing herself.

and after mass we had to scuttle out of church because i'm pretty sure everyone saw my heaving shoulders and heard the muffled snorts and giggles.

edit: i have since learned that the glorious telephone song is also an old jazz/blues song. however, i still maintain that it is silly, and that a barbershop quartet-type rendition is not appropriate for Roman Catholic mass, unless the intention is to have the congregation in stitches.

No comments: